Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ice


The shiver which coated my spine will long remain in my memory, even after the ink fades and the edges of the paper begin to wrinkle and turn to dust.
I never expected such a look, so full of malice and ill will that my soul didn't at first register the unmistakable ice of hatred.
Strangely I find myself longing for the hot sort of hatred, the one filled with passion - for at least in that kind of anger there is a feeling behind it, a soul which still pervades the surrounding air.
Alas, in this tomb of slick coldness I feel nothing, no sliver of the soul to which I once felt so connected. It has frozen to death in the icy tundra, leaving no remnant of who I once knew.
The weight of the knowledge that no good deed goes unpunished crushes my spirit and pricks my heart as if with a dull pin, causing me to cry out with a beseeching plea...will someone put back his spirit and eradicate my heart of pain.
I never meant to hurt him so. It was not a plan of vengeance or an act of rage which motivated my actions. On the contrary, it was borne out of deep pity, a compassion which ached to curl lovingly around a lost soul and point the way out of the darkness and to the light.
Instead, the warm fingers of love and mercy were displaced, somehow morphed into icicles of misunderstanding and unbridled anger - those very daggers the ones he bore into me with his gaze that night.
There is no mistaking his feelings towards me now.. It has haunted me again and again, black eyes searing through the hazy window, a spiderweb of frost snaking across the distorted glass.
My life could resume, my spirit breathe once more if only he would say, "I do not hate you."
Something tells me not to hope. Thank goodness my coffin is comfortable.


"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."
- Robert Frost

1 comment:

~Lauraborialice said...

I like that picture.. Sorry I haven't been commenting.. :-( I've been busy..

But I am telling you thatI have tagged youin my post on Laura's Area.. :-D